CAPACITY: MAX 500 with a single animal per cage (capacity also depends on staffing for animal care not just cage space)
EMPLOYEES: Approximately 42, including 5 animal control officers
BUILDING SQUARE FOOTAGE:
• 26,087 sq ft of conditioned space
• 17,201 sq ft in the primary building
• 8,886 sq ft in the kennel buildings
CONSTRUCTION & LAND COST: $6.5 million
• $2 million City of Chattanooga investment
• $4.5 million private investment
ANIMAL CENTER GROUNDS:
• 8,800 square feet of fenced, natural grass-covered areas for Center dogs
• 4,800 sq ft of septic-drained, fenced interior yards
• One acre fenced dog park for public use is a part of the 5 year plan
TOTAL PROPERTY AREA:
• 10 wooded and grass-covered acres
UNIQUE CENTER FEATURES:
• Featured animal rooms at the entrance showcase pets and allow increased public contact.
• Screened cat porch provides cats with environmental enrichment: bird watching, sunbathing, socializing, etc.
• Two cat colony rooms provide communal living for social cats.
• Four puppy pens allow for protection from disease and group socialization.
• Stray cat holding area features plexiglass fronts to cages and large window at back of room so cats have stimulation of watching center activity.
• Education classroom and conference area provide opportunities for classes, meetings, and social functions such as center sponsored birthday parties.
• The Chattanooga State Community College Veterinary Technology program also holds classes at the Center several days a week.
UNIQUE BUILDING AND GROUNDS FEATURES INCLUDE:
• The building and kennel spaces are separately ventilated with a 100% air changes every eight minutes to prevent the spread of airborne pathogens and decrease odor.
• To reduce the Center’s environmental footprint, heat wheels are being used to reclaim conditioned air.
• Concrete block walls and floor areas throughout the building are sealed with an impenetrable epoxy coating.
• A specially designed, organic septic system allows the waste water from the 4800 sq ft fenced yard area to be reclaimed, purified and used to water the grounds.
• State-of-the-art industrial laundry machines ensure clean, bedding is always available.
• 48 sq ft exotics room with a separate thermostat allows for special climate needs.
• Crematorium services offered to local veterinary hospitals and for mass cremation.
• Chattanooga State: In partnership with Chattanooga State’s veterinary technology program McKamey is proud to be able to help local students become accomplished technicians. Surgical patient preparation, sample collection, instrument care and cleaning, monitoring animals while they are under anesthesia, providing dental care, and physical exams are just a few of the services they are able to provide shelter pets with while honing their professional skills.
• Hamilton County Veterinary Medical Association: The Center will partner with the association to provide spay/neuter services and care for animals with specific health needs.
• Rescue Groups: Local, regional and national networks are currently being established to provide maximum number of placement opportunities for Center animals.