Animal Placements Specialist
The Animal Placements Specialist is responsible for helping to find wonderful new homes for MAC animals, primarily through our adoptions program but also through foster care, transfer partnerships, and other lifesaving approaches. Under the direction of the Animal Placements Supervisor, this position is responsible for working collaboratively with staff, volunteers and the general public, ensuring non-judgmental customer service excellence and the highest standards of animal care and welfare. Both a love of animals and compassion for humans are essential!
SALARY AND SCHEDULE
• Rate: $12.00/hour (bonus for fluent Spanish speakers)
• Classification: Hourly
• Hours: Full time position, including evening and weekend shifts
• Benefits: Health insurance, dental insurance and retirement plan
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Create a welcoming experience for clients, agencies and sponsors looking to adopt, foster, support or otherwise engage with MAC.
• Actively support adopters, online, via email, by telephone and in person as they search for their new adopted pets.
• Participate in pet adoption events and promotions, both at MAC and in locations throughout the community.
• Implement conversation-based, Adopters Welcome approaches to maximize pet adoptions.
• Help to support placement of animals through rescue and transfer partnerships, ensuring compliance with best practices.
• Support MAC’s foster program, helping to ensure the safety and welfare of fostered pets.
• Work closely with the animal intake and animal services team to support opportunities for humanely rehoming animals outside the shelter.
• Ensure stellar customer service at all times when working with clients and stakeholders, both internal and external.
• Ensure a safe and sanitary environment for animals and people.
• Provide daily animal caretaking support as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned. Job Qualifications and Skills
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to relate and confer with staff, volunteers and the general public.
• Ability to exercise good judgment and decision making when dealing with staff and the public.
• Proven organizational skills with outstanding attention to detail (effective record keeping ability).
• Ability to implement progressive animal placement philosophies and practices. Placements Specialist July 2021
• Strong humane animal handling skills and knowledge of animal behavior.
• Ability to operate all equipment, tools, technology, vehicles and other materials relevant to job duties.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be at least 21 years of age (required for insurance purposes), have a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record. Education and Experience Required
• High school diploma is required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• 1 year of experience in animal welfare, customer service or equivalent required.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: The conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Potential exposure to high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, and animal bites/scratches when handling animals.
• Must be able to lift over 50 pounds, up to 100 pounds with assistance.
• Potential exposure to sick, injured, and dangerous animals. McKamey Animal Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We reserve the right to conduct criminal background checks and require drug testing of all employment candidates.