If you’re interested in adopting an animal, below are the steps that you’ll take while finding your new perfect match.
1. Who Do You Want to Meet? Check out our available animals page to see who can go home with you! On each pet profile, you will find their age, gender, weight, and a little about them -- details are added regularly!
2. Come On Down! MAC generally does not place holds on animals via phone, email or social media, you must come in and meet any pet you are interested in adopting. When you arrive at the Center, enter the door marked "Adoptions" and an adoptions team member will show you where the adoptable animals are housed. Appointments are not required to visit the Center. Please Note: Adopters are served on a first-come, first-served basis, so please understand that the animal you are interested in may not be available when you arrive for your visit even if you have called to inquire about it.
3. Meet your new best friend! One of our adoptions team members will share information about the animal(s) you are interested in so you know more about their medical history, their personality, and temperament. We are here to answer any questions you may have and give you a time to see which pet is right for you!
4. Take your new friend home! Unless special circumstances apply, we try to send pets home the same day they are adopted.* Adoption fees can be paid by cash or credit card (sorry, no checks!). We keep paperwork to a minimum to make the adoption process as easy as possible! Dogs are required to go home with a leash, collar, and city license tag (if applicable), and cats must leave in a carrier. You are welcome to bring your own, or you can shop in our retail store and purchase any of these items here at MAC. Once the adoption process is complete, you’re all set and ready to start a new journey with your best furrriend!
5. On the fence? Consider an Adoption Hold! If you have met a pet you’re thinking might be right for you but you’re not 100% sure, that’s ok! Certain animals are eligible for a 24 hour Adoption Hold (puppies, kittens and designer animals are generally not eligible for Holds, please ask!). Adoption Holds for animals ready to leave the shelter require a non-refundable Hold Fee of half the regular adoption price of the animal at the time the Hold is placed or $50, whichever is greater. Hold Fees for animals ready to leave the shelter are administrative and are therefore non-refundable, not tax-deductible donations, and cannot be applied towards the adoption fee.
*If the pet you are interested in adopting is not eligible to leave the shelter that day due to MAC policy or procedure, you may pay the full adoption fee and submit a Pre-Adoption Application which will hold the animal for you if/when it is ready to leave. If the animal ultimately cannot be released to you, the adoption fee will be refunded in full. However, you fail to finalize the adoption within 24 hours of receiving notification that the animal is ready to go home, the adoption fee will be forfeited.
If you have questions please call our Adoptions Team (423) 305-6514 or email: email@example.com
- Please make sure to bring a valid photo I.D. with you.
- All adopters must be 18 years of age or older.
- Although not required, family members and other pets are encouraged to visit the shelter to meet a potential new pet.
- All adopted dogs and puppies must leave the shelter with a collar, leash, and city license tag (if applicable) available for purchase here at the shelter.
- All adopted cats and kittens must leave in a carrier. Cardboard carriers are available for purchase for $7.
- All other pets for adoption must leave in a carrier. Cardboard carriers are available for purchase for $7.
Things Not Working Out? We recognize that sometimes things do not work out when adopting a new pet. We encourage you to contact us if you are having difficulty with your new pet – we can provide behavioral and other support that may help. We do guarantee your satisfaction and support a no-fault, no-judgment return policy, meaning you may return your adopted pet to MAC if they are not working out (returns are by appointment) and your adoption fee will be applied towards the adoption of a new pet that will hopefully be a better match!
Schedule Your Adoption Appointment
If you would prefer to make an adoption appointment to meet a new furry friend, you can schedule your appointment here: Click to Make Your Appointment Now
Please note: Scheduling an appointment does not guarantee that the animal will still be available at your scheduled time. In an effort to find our animals loving homes more quickly, we send them home on a first-come, first-served basis. We appreciate your understanding that we are unable to hold animals.
- All dogs and cats are spayed/neutered, microchipped, given parasite prevention, and have received age-appropriate vaccinations before leaving the Center with their new owner.
Our range of adoption fees helps to support our mission and offset the cost of housing some pets for extended periods of time in addition to those who need life-saving medical care. We do not euthanize for time or space.
- Cats and Kittens
- Cat and kitten adoption fees range
- from $50 to $100.
- A second cat/kitten is 50% off!
- Senior (10 years+) and Barn Cats have waived adoption fees.
- Dogs and Puppies
- Dogs and Puppy adoption fees range from $50 to $350.
- Other Furry Friends
- Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, and Small Birds (finches, parakeets, etc.) $15
- Rats, Hamsters, & Mice $10
- Ferrets $35
- Pigs & Goats $40
- Chickens $10 ($5 per chicken after first)
- Exotics (reptiles, parrots, etc.) are individually priced.
Adoption Specials and Discounts
- Fursday Thursday - Every Thursday, take 50% off your adoption fee on adult animals. *Certain animals may not be included in this promotion.*
- Senior Citizen Discount - 50% off adoption fees on select animals.
- Other adoption specials happen throughout the year - follow us on social media (@mckameycenter), or subscribe to our emails to stay up to date on all adoption specials! Click below to see upcoming specials!