The Maintenance Specialist performs a wide variety of tasks designed to ensure the MAC building, grounds and fleet are visually appealing, safe for both animals and for people and functioning effectively and efficiently at all times. This position handles all equipment repair and replacement, maintenance of internal and external fixtures and systems and helps ensure compliance with all applicable health, safety and building access requirements. The successful candidate must not only have extensive knowledge of mechanical and structural maintenance, they must be a self-starter, take pride in a job well done, enjoy working with people (and animals!) and be committed to ensuring a safe, collaborative working environment for all.
SALARY AND SCHEDULE
- Rate: Commensurate with experience
- Classification: Non-exempt, hourly position (40 hours per week, flexibility required)
- Full-time position
- Benefits: vacation, holidays, medical insurance, retirement plan
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
· Oversee and perform routine repair and maintenance of shelter equipment, caging and kennels, hoses, faucets, appliances, plumbing, HVAC and other building systems.
· Recommend replacement of malfunctioning equipment that cannot be repaired and help oversee delivery/installation.
· Provide routine maintenance of shelter vehicles.
· Monitor, maintain and repair/replace indoor and outdoor lighting fixtures, fencing, gates, air vents, storage areas, roofs, gutters, windows, down spouts, cargo bins, and all other facility equipment and areas.
· Act as a liaison with independent contractors/repair companies, vendors, and consultants regarding building systems, supplies and services.
· Assist the Director of Operations in developing and maintaining inventories of equipment and supplies needed for the facility to work efficiently and cost effectively.
· Maintain indoor and outdoor areas of the facility, including emptying trash cans, sweeping entrance ways, clearing recycle and garbage areas, removing debris and trash from grounds, rehanging fallen signage, overseeing and performing routine landscaping/mowing duties, and/or support the Director of Operations in arrange for and supervising the provision of these services.
· Ensure proper storage and inventorying of all shelter equipment and materials.
· Ensure that workspaces are maintained in a safe, clean, and organized manner.
· Maintain crematory and all related equipment.
· Perform special maintenance/construction projects as assigned.
· Pick up/deliver supplies and materials as necessary.
· Support the Director of Operations in ensuring that all projects are completed to specifications in a thorough and timely manner. Monitor quality of work performed by volunteers, contractors and others and offer feedback for improvement or to correct behavior as needed. Monitor the progress and completion of special projects as assigned.
· Maintain accurate records and files of all maintenance-related activities.
· Other duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications and Skills
· Minimum 2 years of experience in facility and/or equipment maintenance, construction, renovation or related field.
· Skilled in a wide variety of construction, remodeling and repair areas.
· Must be highly organized with a strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
· Must be a goal oriented self-starter and take personal pride in the appearance of the Center.
· Possession of a valid Tennessee Driver’s license with an insurable driving record (current Motor Vehivel Report must be supplied at time of employment).
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Must be able to respond to emergency situations at any hour.
· Ability to perform physical work: scrubbing, mopping, bending, lifting, walking, and standing for duration of 8-10-hour shift.
· Ability to lift to 50 pounds without assistance and 100 pounds with assistance.
· Potential exposure to high noise levels, zoonotic diseases, fractious animals.
· Must be able to perform routine maintenance and minor construction work, including moving equipment, climbing ladders, etc.
· Drug testing will be required whenever a potential worker’s compensation claim injury occurs.
McKamey Animal Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We reserve the right conduct criminal background checks and require drug testing of all employment candidates.