Do you have unowned cats in your nieghborhood?
MAC aims to improve the lives of free-roaming and feral cats in our community by returning spayed/neutered cats to their outdoor homes. Returning spayed/neutered cats is a humane and effective method to control the outdoor cat population by ensuring these cats are not reproducing multiple times a year. Community cats are unowned cats that live outdoors in the community. They may be feral or friendly, may have been born in the wild, or may be lost or abandoned pets.
Do you live in the city of Chattanooga, Red Bank, or Lakesite and have feral (unowned) cats in your neighborhood? MAC is helping cats through our TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) program! We stabilize the population by preventing births, and returning them to their environment keeps new cats from moving in and having more litters. Traps are available through our Admissions department for a $15 user fee + refundable deposit for residents of the city of Chattanooga.
- CAT TRAP - $50 ($15 User Fee + $35 Refundable Deposit)
- DOG TRAP - $200 ($15 User Fee + $185 Refundable Deposit)
If you return the trap in working condition within 10 days you will receive your refundable deposit.
If your trap is not returned within 10 days, $1 per day rental fee will be taken out of your deposit.
All trapped cats brought in for surgery must follow the surgery drop-off guidelines as stated above.
Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) Instructions
- Establish a feeding pattern by feeding once a day at the same time for at least 1 week before trapping. Make sure to pick up all leftovers after about 30 minutes.
- Count the number of cats in your area that need to be spayed/neutered. An ear-tip indicates that a cat has already been spayed/neutered and does NOT need to be re-trapped.
- Prepare the trap(s) by using enticing, smelly food and line traps with a material, such as newspaper, to support the cat's feet and absorb urine/feces while the cat is in the trap.
- Set trap(s) close to their feeding area. Make sure to place the trap against a wall, fence, curb, etc., and that the ground is even. Add a trail of bait gravy/treats leading to the opening of the trap.
- Wait for cats to be trapped. Cats can sense your presence and anxiety so make sure not to be too close or stare at them while they are investigating the trap.
- When you catch a cat. If a cat is calm, do not immediately go retrieve them because that may scare the other cats away. If a cat is not calm, quickly cover the trap with a blanket or towel and remove it from the area.
- Housing. After you catch the cats, they need to be kept in a quiet, temperature-controlled place. Line the flooring with a trap or protective material for easy clean up. Make sure they stay covered and have access to water. Use a Trap Fork to safely place a water bowl in the trap.
- Transport. Line your vehicle with appropriate protection. Take them to McKamey for spay/neuter (see above for Spay/Neuter programs).
Food Bank Program
If you need assistance feeding community cats (or your own pets) please call our Admissions department to ask about how our Food Bank program can help!
Tips on Caring for Cats in your Community
Click here for very helpful information on feeding, building shelters, and solving disputes with your neighbors.
See below for handouts on simple ways to build your own shelters for outdoor cats.
Cats in Places They Don't Belong?
Watch this short video for a list of great ideas to keep cats out of places they don't belong, like gardens.
Simple Tips to Deal with Common Annoying Cat Behaviors
Products that Offer Simple Ways to Keep Cats out of Places They Don't Belong
- Topping your beds with decorative garden items like lava rock, pine cones, and bark will help deter cats from digging in your garden.
- Place them point side up in potted plants to keep cats from digging in the dirt
- Place large river rocks in your garden to prevent cats from digging. Rocks have the added benefit of deterring weeds.
- Put pieces of plastic carpet runners, spike-side up, covered lightly in soil in your garden to keep cats from digging in the beds.
- Lay them over your car, spike-side up, to keep cats from lounging on your vehicles.
- Specifically formulated to eliminate tough cat odors and stains, such as urine, feces, and vomit, while discouraging repeat spraying.
- The professional strength formula of our Simple Solution Cat Extreme Stain & Odor Remover breaks down organic cat messes and is safe around children and pets when used as directed.
- Protects gardens, landscaped areas and yards from deer, rabbits, birds and other animal intruders
- Startles pests with sound and startling-but-harmless burst of water, teaching them to avoid protected area in the future
- Protects 1,200 sq. ft. day and night - powered by a single 9-volt battery for up to 6 months
- A humane, chemical-free deterrent to cats digging in the garden
- Prickly plastic teeth irritate cats without harming them
- Use in the garden or in potted plants
- Can be cut to size with scissors
- Instantly scares cats and other animals away with a motion activated blast of ultrasonic sound and strobe lights - does not worry humans
- Dependable, maintenance-free operation on 2 x 9 Volt batteries (sold separately). Optional power adapter also available.
- Eliminate roaming pest animal problems with this aggressive ultrasonic and flashing light animal repeller. Features three (3) ultrasonic frequency settings, plus an optional on/off LED flashing light.
- No messy chemicals or pesticides, no traps, no dead animals. Get rid of all animals through emitting a mixture of ultrasonic sounds and powerful flashing LED strobe lights, frightening the intruding animals and pests to leave the area.
- Solid hard plastic construction for withstanding years of rain, snow, ice and wind. Perfect for yards, patios, driveways, garages, attics, porches, boats, gardens, farms, ponds, etc. / PIR Motion sensor: Detects motion from up to 30 Ft
- Patented all-natural organic formula repels by taste and odor, not offensive to humans. Contains oil of black pepper, peperine and capsaicin
- Effectively repels groundhogs, skunks, dogs, cats, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks and other nuisance animals
- Unique rain-resistant, OMRI Listed, animal repellent protects up to 300 square feet and provides up to 30 days of protection
- Critter Ridder canister features an adjustable shaker spout to make repellent application easier
- Ideal outdoor use: gardens, lawns, and landscaped areas. Indoor Use: basements, cellars, and storage
- Protects up to 1,900 square feet of gardens, yards and ponds.
- Infrared technology
- Sleek design and four simple sensitivity settings – Low, Medium, High, Off