How to Volunteer
From walking dogs to caring for kittens to cleaning kennels to helping with events and outreach, every volunteer effort is valuable to the staff and animals of McKamey Animal Center!
Read on to learn more about volunteering at McKamey Animal Center and how to get signed up!
Volunteers are an ESSENTIAL part of the inner-workings of McKamey Animal Center and play an important role in saving animal lives in Chattanooga! Volunteers are at the frontlines of helping staff to provide quality love and care for animals and helping get them into forever homes! We are always looking for passionate, dedicated volunteers to help us further our mission and can use a variety of different skills and interests!
- Volunteers 16 years of age or older may volunteer independently.
- Volunteers age 10-15 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for all shifts and training.
- Volunteers must attend a New Volunteer Orientation prior to beginning volunteer service.
All volunteers must complete four hours of Essential Shelter Help (non-animal handling tasks) before they are able to work with animals.
- All volunteers must be willing to commit to a minimum of 6 hours of service each month for at least 6 months.
- To defray costs and not take away from the animals in our care, volunteers must pay a one-time $25 commitment fee, which covers the cost of the t-shirt and training.
Available Volunteer Opportunities
- Essential Shelter Help - Essential Shelter Help (ESH) is the first role that every new volunteer starts with at McKamey Animal Center. This position encompasses all non-animal handling tasks performed at the shelter, from laundry, to dishes, to stuffing outreach bags.
- Adoptions Greeter/Tour Guide - This volunteer role provides customer service and assistance to our Adoptions Staff by greeting customers, directing traffic and assisting with office tasks.
- Dog Walker - Dog Walkers provide additional socialization and enrichment for our resident canines, as well as assist in positively reinforcing good behaviors.
- Cat Socializer - Cat Socialization provides additional care and enrichment for our resident felines, as well as assists in positively reinforcing good behaviors to prepare animals for adoption.
- Administrative Assistant Volunteer - This volunteer role provides support of the administrative offices and help with paperwork at vaccine clinics.
- Click HERE to fill out and submit a Volunteer Application. Please fill out this application completely and double-check for errors before submitting.
- After submission of your volunteer application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail containing the link to sign up for a Volunteer Orientation class.
Upcoming Volunteer Training Classes:
- Thursday, November 29 at 5:30pm
- Saturday, December 8 at 2:00pm
- Thursday, December 13 at 5:30pm
If you have questions about volunteering not answered on this page, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at VolunteerCoordinator@mckameyanimalcenter.org.
Already a Volunteer?
If you need to complete court-ordered community service, please do not fill out an application or sign up for an orientation. Contact 423-305-6502. Leave a message.