1. Register your lost or found pet with McKamey below.
2. Visit every shelter in the surrounding area. Act immediately and go to each shelter daily. Many shelter’s receive over 100 pets a week, you must be diligent in following up in the search for your lost pet.
3. Notify friends and neighbors that your pet is lost with emails, posters and flyers. Sometimes your pet is just a block away! Post fliers in a minumum of a three mile radius of where the pet was lost.
4. Contact all veterinarians in your area. If there is a veterinary association see if they will do a broadcast email for you to all of their members.
5. Contact any media lost and found websites or bulletin boards.
6. Check “found” ads and take out a “lost” ad in local newspapers.
8. As heartbreaking as searching for a lost pet can be please DO NOT GIVE UP! Pet’s have been reunited with their owners months or even years after they were lost.
ID YOUR PET FOR LIFE / MICROCHIP YOUR PET: Statistics indicate that most lost pets are never returned to their owners. Microchipping is a simple injection, like a vaccination, that leaves a tiny microchip, about the size of a grain of rice, under your pet’s skin. The information on this microchip is saved in a nationwide database so that lost pets and their owners can be reunited. You wouldn’t leave home without your identification, so why leave your pet vulnerable? McKamey Animal Center offers microchipping to cat & dog owners living in the city for $25.00. No appointment necessary, just stop by McKamey during normal adoption hours.